Sunday, April 1, 2012

Good Health



Hi readers! It's come to my attention that some of you REALLY missed me this past month! Sorry! I went on vacation, and since I was well ahead of my quarterly target (I had gone on 15 dates by the end of February, and the goal was 13 by the end of March), I took a little vacation from dating as well.  But now I'm back in full force to tell you about Mr. #16. We've met this guy before here and here.  He is smart, funny, considerate, self-aware, and easy to talk to.  Before I left for vacation, we made plans to go out again on Saturday: dinner and a comedy show.

I'm getting over a nasty cold, and Mr. #16 had a broken arm from a recent bike accident.  So we were not exactly a picture of good health.  We rallied, though, and had a good time. Mr. #16 picked me up right on time (actually a few minutes early)  and we headed to dinner at a vegetarian restaurant that I think will become one of my new favorites! It's about a fifteen minute drive, then there was a wait and service was slow, so we had plenty of time to talk. Our conversation topics ran the gamut: my recent travels (I'm still glowing), broken bones (in general and his specifically), cars (we do live in Michigan after all), bad customer service (kind of a rarity in Michigan), college sports (I didn't have much to add here), raw diets (more on this later), and why nurses steal drugs from hospitals (who doesn't talk about this on dates, really?).

After dinner we walked a few blocks to a comedy club. The show was sold out but Mr. #16 had thought to buy tickets ahead of time-- nice.  The show was ok, but we were more amused by the honking laugh of the women in front of us.  I ordered a seltzer, and Mr. #16 also abstained from adult beverages.  He's not much of a drinker; in fact, I've never seen him imbibe.  This is interesting.  I know I've specifically said I want someone who prioritizes a healthy lifestyle, and after dating a lot of heavy boozers and cheeseburger addicts, this guy's emphasis (obsession?) with distance running and biking is almost refreshing (remember how after our second date he had to go home so he could wake up the next morning for a 16-mile run?).  He seems to eat like a normal person (based on the two dinners we've shared) but he talked about how he follows a mostly raw diet during the week.  I'm impressed, but maybe a little overwhelmed.  Just like I can't really keep up with a 6-pack-a-night drinker, I might be on a very different plane from this guy.

So the question: Is this kind of lifestyle difference too much to get past?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home!! I see you're back in the swing of things. I'm glad you're having dates with a healthy dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a distinguished veteran of the dating world, I recommend avoiding anyone who is single-mindedley into any one thing...unless you are too, and at a similar level. You may find you occasionally want to stay up late, drink a bunch of beers, and eat a cheeseburger, and why shouldn't you? I'd also recommend watching for changes over the next few dates; people often put up fronts that resemble the sort of person they'd *like* to be, rather than who they *actually* are, and it rarely lasts (IMO ;)

    ReplyDelete